PULLICHIRA MARIAN CENTRE
In the year 1520 AD the sailors of a Portuguese ship met with a perilous sea storm and were scared to death. They had with them a statue of Virgin Mary which they put in a box and floated on the Arabian Sea with a resolve to build a church there where the box with the statue washed ashore. The box reached the shores of Pullichira and the faithful people of Pullichira gladly placed the statue in the then existing small church. Later the Portuguese arrived and built a church in 1572 with a beautifully carved wooden altar. This church is located in Mayyanad Panchayat in Kollam district. It is built at a place of scenic beauty on the banks of Pullichira Lake.