THANGASSERY DUTCH FORT
Thangassery Fort is also known as St. Thomas Fort located on the beach of Thangassery on the shores of the Arabian Sea in the city of Kollam. It is about 71 kms away from the state capital Thiruvananthapuram but only 5 kms away from the Kollam city centre. Thangassery had trade relations with the Chinese from the first millennium but later it was colonized by the Portuguese, Dutch and the British. According to historians, Captain Rodriguez came to Quilon and was appointed the captain of the Factory and Trade with the permission of the queen. The fort was built for the protection of the newly developed trade. In 1505 the Portuguese established a trading port here and in 1518 established its sovereignty through the construction of St. Thomas Fort. Later in 1661 the town and fort were handed over to the Dutch who made it the capital of Dutch Malabar. The Dutch occupied the fort for several years. In 1795 the British East India Company took possession of the fort. It was originally around 20 feet tall. Today the government of India has taken over the place and has declared it to be a historical landmark.